2 Timothy 3.16-17


9th February 2018 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God-breathed is what really speaks to me about Scripture and the effects of the Word of God, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. Paul writing to Timothy in these verses is directing him away form the error of the people of the Ephesian church depicted in the chapter. They were leading lives of ungodliness, they were evildoers and impostors who were going from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

People who are lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—  having a form of godliness but denying its power. They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. Have nothing to do with such people.

The Bible is called God’s breath, God’s Word, Scripture. Jesus brings life and not just knowledge, not just words, not just information-but life. It requires action. Actions that come from it based on the useful teaching, rebuking, correcting, training in righteousness and grace. My life in Genesis started as being God-breathed and continues to be God-breathed. Recently, in the patterns of life here in Guatemala there has been a lot of dust. I am always dusting and it is a prevention for dust mites. I dust and the next day I dust again. There is always dust. Similarly, there is always sin. In my life there is always sin that needs correction, the next day too. God’s breath blows away my dust, my sin day after day. Being with Jesus, hearing from Jesus’ words, being close enough to feel his breath brings life. Life to the full, John 10:10.

Yesterday there was a lot of dog poop to pick up again and again. Jesus does the same for me. I don’t want to make a mess. But I know that in another week when we go to prepare for Potter’s Field Kids there will be more poop. Again, I need Jesus to clean me up. I need to take action I need to go to Him for Him to clean me up.

Application, at meal time we call our kids, Hannah and Joel, to wash their hand. Jesus calls to me clearly when I read His Word, and he cleans me up. I am a messy kid needing Him to clean me up. I need to just come when He calls. I wish our kids came the first time we called. Being here in the daily grind I can see Jesus, be with Jesus, be like Mary at His feet. I am praying it doesn’t become a chore like Martha, who was just busy with her monotony. I am so thankful it is not. I will pray that I see God in the little things and let them teach me as I read His word and it breaths life into me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greater Love - John 15:13

One Verse Wonder - Judges 3.31

Luke 8:22-25 “Where is your faith?”