The Finish Line - 2 Timothy 4:7


2 Timothy 4:7



I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

These are some of Paul’s last recorded words and here he is writing to Timothy, his young apprentice, disciple and son in the spiritual sense. Paul’s relationship of love, care and concern for Timothy is very apparent and these words must have touched his heart as they have touched mine.

These words Paul scripted are practically an epitaph - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. What would I want on my epitaph or my tombstone? I can remember hearing some examples of other epitaphs. An old one read something like this: here lies captain John Smith, who died from an accidental discharge from his lieutenant, good and faithful servant. A bit tongue in cheek, yes. Here is another: I told you I was sick. The final one I remember is perhaps a good one for a Christian which was found in the Alps and says: died climbing.

Paul’s solemn words come after an explicate and dynamite final charge for Timothy!  - In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and His kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. I am sure that Timothy, after receiving this charge, was challenged. Now Paul, by example of his life, lays down how he discharged his life and love by fighting the good fight, by finishing the race, and by keeping the faith!

How will I finish? Will I flight or flee? Will I fight or surrender? Will I be a good soldier? How will I race? Will I finish or fall? Will I finish or be disqualified? Will I stay the course of an athlete? How will I keep the faith, as the hard-working farmer or the unfaithful sluggar?. Will I kept at it or let it go? 

Many start off well but many have and will fall away, it is a narrow path. Being involved in ministry and the church it is sad to see friends leave the path and give up. I am a wee bit longer in the tooth but that doesn’t make it any easier. The same temptation is before us all, including me. I need Jesus and I need to keep going.

Application: I will give Julio and Anthony this verse as an encouragement as we come to the end of our field time as a charge to finish well this season.  Fight the good fight, finished the race, kept the faith. This is for me too, finish this season well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greater Love - John 15:13

One Verse Wonder - Judges 3.31

Luke 8:22-25 “Where is your faith?”