Mark 16:6 “Don’t be alarmed.”


Mark 16:6 “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.

The account of Jesus’s resurrection and the witnesses of the empty tomb must have been amazing, overwhelming, crazy, scary and monumental. A young man dressed in white surprises the three followers of Jesus: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome. He settles their fears saying, “don’t be alarmed.” He knows that they are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified, who had died, who He then tells them that, “He has risen!” The young man lets them know that Jesus is not here. He invites them to see the empty tomb and to see the place where He lay.

Who is this young man dressed in white? Does it really matter who he is? We have no name, we have very little information about him, yet he was quoted in Mark 16 speaking to Jesus’ followers. His message was what mattered, there were four main parts to it.

Firstly, don’t be alarmed.

Secondly, you are looking for Jesus.

Thirdly, Jesus has risen.

Finally, Jesus is not here.

The young man’s message is applicable for me today in life’s situations. Firstly, I can get alarmed when I experience shocking circumstances. I need to hear God’s message in Mark 16 again and again to not be alarmed. God knows what is happening and what will happen. I can pray and I can talk to Jesus and let His words touch my heart and relive any anxiety or stress.

Secondly, I need to keep looking to Jesus. Again, and again looking to Jesus. It is easy to depend upon my own abilities, understanding and strength to complete tasks. I need to continue to keep looking to Jesus and how He would approach situations.

Thirdly, I need to remember Jesus’s power: His resurrection power! His victorious power! I need to remember that He is alive and has made me alive in the spirit, He has moved me from death to life, from lost to found, from darkness to light.

Finally, Jesus is not here but the Holy Spirit is here. I am not alone, I am not powerless.

Application, I will read Colossians to remind myself of how amazing Jesus is. I will also try and remind those around me of this too. Also, in each of the four parts of his message, the young man dressed in white was communicating something about Jesus. I will pray to fully take opportunities to share Jesus’ message with others.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greater Love - John 15:13

One Verse Wonder - Judges 3.31

Luke 8:22-25 “Where is your faith?”